Top Managers Influence Workplace Happiness

Most people follow the logic that if we pay staff enough, they will be productive. A recent Gallup poll found that 13% of employees are engaged at work which leaves 87% who don’t enjoy it very much. Companies with low staff engagement have a clear opportunity to increase productivity by investing in employee welfare and workplace happiness. A study by the University of Warwick reports that happy employees are 12% more productive while unhappy workers are 10% less. Companies that invest in employee support and satisfaction tend to succeed in generating happier staff. At Google, employee satisfaction rose 37% as a result of these types of initiatives, suggesting financial incentives aren’t enough for highly productive employees. Positive emotions appear to energize people. Shawn Anchor, author of “The Happiness Advantage” found the brain works better when a person is feeling positive. They tend to be more creative, have better problem-solving skills collaborate with other staff more effectively. Ms. Ruhie Pande, Chief Human Resources Officer, Godrej Properties, Ltd says “All employees want to come to an organization today not to work but to contribute.” When they feel this contribution is valued in the form of recognition, learning and growth, they will feel happy and engaged at work.

High performing management behaviors can be broken down to 3 basic areas:


People join organizations and leave their managers. Gallup’s research show that managers account for at least 70% of variance in employee engagement scores. Performance evaluations, recognition programs, education and social support help foster engagement. Managers who are actively involved, dedicated and personally invested in a company and their staff produce and inspire better work.


Micromanaging supervisors and authoritative bosses who don’t give staff much choice or voice on the job tend to lower morale and the motivation to put in any extra effort. Managers who coach, mentor and advise, who listen and share information, possess the key technical skills required and demonstrate a clear vision and strategy for the team produce an empowering environment that creates a winning situation for all.


Staff who fill their daily routines with physical activity tend to be more engaged and energetic than those glued to their chairs. Less rigid work schedules can also help retain team members. People with jobs that don’t mesh well with their home lives are 3 times more likely to quit. Work-from-home opportunities can fuel an inclusive environment for staff even if they do not use this option. The physical conditions of an office can even boost employee satisfaction. A chilly office can make us perceive our workplace as less friendly so temperatures between 65-70 Fahrenheit are recommended. Loud noise raises our epinephrine levels, our fight-or-flight hormone, so investments in carpet, sound absorbent wall materials and curtains may increase staff smile rates!

Viewing staff as assets that foster an organizations long term sustainability goals has led to a redefining of what a successful workplace looks like. Happiness alone may not cause immediate productivity increases, but it Is an easy place to start. NHS Solutions endorses this view of the workplace. Our corporate staff work with a mix of work-from-home, video conferencing, group team meetings and in-office days. Our interim staff enjoy the ultimate in flexible work; they choose when and where they accept an assignment. Interim healthcare leaders have the ability to schedule gaps into their annual work plan, affording the ability to enjoy a long vacation, care for a loved one, or simply take a break. Contact our recruiting staff is you think an interim assignment might be the right choice for your next career move.

Accessibility Toolbar